While I would much rather be posting happy pictures of our lives over the last couple of months, I just can't seem to find the time to get the pictures off of my camera and write a post. Since I have about 2 minutes before a child finds me hiding out at the computer I thought I'd do some writing. Sometimes a little venting is all I need to feel better. We have really been enjoying our house, but a few neighbors have not. We've fought the HOA since about the 2nd week after we moved in. Basically it boils down to a few grumpy people who have nothing better to do with their time than find something to complain about. I guess we should have known what we were getting into when Marc attended a HOA board meeting back before we finished the house and a couple had a list of all of the houses that did not pull their garbage cans back inside by the morning of the day after garbage pick up. During all of this I was doing a Bible Study on the book of James. Only God could have foreseen the need for James in our lives this summer. Now I am studying Daniel. Wow! God has been so good to prepare my heart in advance for all of this stuff going on. As of now the HOA has dropped all of their crazy claims or agreed with us on our time frame of completion. God has used this time in our lives to really teach me some things. First of all, this is not my home. I wasn't made for this world I was made for heaven. Everything I do and say should be a reflection of my Savior. And for someone who sometimes struggles with acceptance, it's hard to have untrue things said about you. There is persecution all over the world and especially for Christians. While our neighbors might not know we are Christians, yet, Satan does and he will do whatever he can to try and tear us apart. All of these things I have known, but God has used this summer to really implant these things in my soul. In that case it is been a good summer.
Up until a month ago I had a great rhythm down at the house. The house was staying pretty clean and organized, laundry was done on a regular basis, the kitchen was cleaned up every night. I was amazed at how well I was transitioning into a larger home and I was able to keep it cleaner than the smaller rental we had. So what happened, you ask. School. Home school to be more specific. To say teaching two children, entertaining a not so independent toddler, and trying to cook and clean has been difficult would be an understatement. Never have I considered not homeschooling the girls, but the thought of never cleaning a bathroom again has crossed my mind. Unfortunately that won't work. Transitioning from summer to school days has been a challenge. On those days when we are at home we have worked out a pretty decent system. We start off with Kayla playing with Brooke for 30 minutes while I work with Macy. Kayla knows that he job is to keep Brooke entertained. We then come together for an hour of craziness. After that Macy takes Brooke to play for 30 minutes while I work with Kayla. I absolutely have to sit down every night and plan for the next day. I have to decide what work to do during our individual time (reading for Macy, science or history for Kayla), what can be done during our crazy time with Brooke in the room demanding my attention, and what I can save for when Brooke is asleep. Throw in a field trip or some other activity and I am thrown for a loop.
The house is slowly deteriorating. The laundry room stays a mess with clothes that need to be folded or piles still to be washed. Dirty dishes stay in the sink overnight because the dishwasher didn't get unloaded that day. My desk is a mess, but I did manage to clean half of the bathrooms this week. Toilets and sinks are done, but showers, tubs, and floors are still on my list.
Some days are harder than others, this being a harder day, but I am so thankful for the opportunity I have to stay home with my girls, for the beautiful home we have been blessed with, and that we are homeschooling. I wouldn't change it. I do have family in town that are always more than willing to help, but it's not like I plan ahead for crazy days. They just happen. Besides, I have to figure it out. I have to find a way to balance it all. And I will. I have been told by several home school families that it takes until October to finally feel like you have a grip on things. Today is September 13, so we are almost there. I'm expecting a light switch change on October 1. ha!
Time to flip laundry around, put a baby in bed (and yes I still call my almost 3 year old my baby), and get back to schoolwork. The fire station field trip has extended our day a little bit, but I am actually looking forward to some quiet school time with the older two.

No comments:
Post a Comment