Sunday, December 29, 2013

Christmas Break Project

Marc and I (well mostly me) have been talking about finally getting the back splash in our kitchen done.  We decided to try and tackle it over the Christmas break.  It was somewhat of a last minute decision but we headed out to a tile store where were thought we'd find some good variety.  Variety we found but not for the price we wanted to pay. So we went back to our house building supply stomping grounds. Good ole Home Depot and Lowes. It took several trips to each to figure out exactly what we wanted and to get enough materials.  I think Marc said he ended up at one of the two stores eight times over a 24 hour period - Woodstock, Holly Springs, Canton, Jasper, and Cumming.  Maybe an Alpharetta store in there as well.  I've lost track.

We put the girls to bed around 8:00 Friday night and got started on the butler's pantry. It actually went pretty quick so we tackled another small area by the refrigerator. Then we called it a night.

Saturday morning was the slowest part of our project.  Marc had to go out and pick up the rest of the tile. We also had to work through the area to go above the stove. The cuts on the frame weren't going well at first so it took some thinking to figure out what to do.  Once we got it worked out we laid everything out.

 

Once Marc and I start a project we like to work until it's done.  We were up until 1:00 in the morning finishing it (including the grouting and cleaning), but it turned out so good!

Strange how the lighting can affect the colors so much.  I'd say the true coloring is right in the middle of these two.


It was a big project but we love it. Next project: repainting my pantry shelves.

No comments:

Post a Comment