I'm trying to break up the posts some so it is not quite an overload of pictures. Since I print out a book of the blog every year for myself and the girls I want to make sure I include lot of pictures for them.
We woke up Friday to a rainy day. It rained constantly all day long. We really wanted to see the documents at the National Archives, so we headed out and waited in the rain for over an hour. The kids were good sports, and it was so fascinating seeing the actual documents that were written over 200 years ago. We are truly citizens of a great nation. Who knows what the future holds for us with the decisions that are being made these days, but we have been a blessed nation in so many ways.
Umbrella malfunction.
We enjoyed a tour of the Library of Congress. Our guide was fabulous and we learned so many new things. We saw Thomas Jefferson's library collection, the first map where the term America was used, some old Bibles, and many more things. Unfortunately in DC there are so many things that you can't take pictures of, but I would rather them be preserved for future generations rather than getting a picture of them. We also learned about the fires and architecture of the building.
And when you are related to Benjamin Franklin you can't stay in the city without getting a picture with his statue outside of the Post Office.
All of that walking in the rain wore a couple of little girls out. Brooke was the first to fall asleep (the only nap she took the entire trip other than car rides) and Macy fell asleep on the metro shortly after.
We ventured out to the Lincoln Memorial after dinner. It is a spectacular monument anytime you see it, but at night when it is all lit up, it is quite amazing.
Marc and I traveled to DC before we had children, but it is still amazing to venture into the monuments and memorials. Knowing our history and seeing the quotes of these important people truly brings history to life.
And we did make time to visit the pool. :)













No comments:
Post a Comment