Since we have been in the house almost 3 weeks I guess I should post about moving. May was crunch time. We really didn't want to have to pay another month of rent on top of the construction loan payment, and we were ready to move! We had also told our landlord that we would be out at the end of May. I'm proud to say that thanks to my hubby he handed over the keys at 9:00PM on the 31st of May.
In the beginning of May we saw the cabinets installed. In the last 2 weeks of May the flooring was put down, all of the painting was done, granite counter tops installed, landscaping done (minimal at this point - we have plenty of time to plant things now that we are moved in), lighting and fans hung, exterior stone set, a home packed up, and everything moved. Phew! I need a vacation!
One of the sub-contractors left his bobcat at the house over the weekend and gave Marc the keys. He was like a kid in a candy store - until he almost seriously injured himself and needing rescuing. That's a story for another day.
And I can't forget the driveway was poured.
Kayla was still in school for the first half of May, so one day I decided to get some painting done. We brought over the portable DVD players. The girls thought that was the BEST thing to hang out and watch a movie.
We passed our final inspection on a Tuesday afternoon, rented a U-Haul and moved boxes with the help of Marc's brother Tuesday evening, picked up our new couches in the U-Haul Tuesday night, unloaded them Wednesday morning and moved more stuff that afternoon. Moving van came Thursday morning for the big stuff. Marc went back that afternoon and evening to pack up what hadn't made it into boxes yet (and isn't that always more than you think it is) and he cleaned up the town-home before turning in the keys.
So you are probably wondering why Marc went back and did all of the last minute packing and cleaning by himself. Well I forgot to mention that Wednesday night Kayla woke up throwing up. A lot. And she shared with me. We teach the importance of sharing in our house. Guess we need to be more specific on what we really want them to share and not share. :) Anyway, we both spent the entire morning laying around while the movers did their thing, and then we slept while my mom came over to help us and get the beds ready to sleep in. I guess that's a way to get out of moving, but I hate that I was no help to Marc. We both woke up Friday morning feeling fine.
Thursday will mark 3 weeks we have been in our house, and we are mostly unpacked. We absolutely love our new home. So many decisions went into this house and the only one I would change is the color of our pantry shelves. The lighting in the pantry makes them look more blue than gray, but if that's the only thing I don't particularly care for I'd say we did good.
Pictures of the house to come hopefully later this week.







No comments:
Post a Comment