We had a great time on Saturday at Bryce Canyon. This park was one of my favorites. I had never seen a hoodoo before this trip, and I didn't even know what one was until Kayla said something about them back when we were planning our trip. Marc thought we were making the word up until he saw something written about them at the park. Not sure why he would think Kayla and I would make up words... ha!
Look closely and you can see my protective mama bear stance. The land literally drops off at the edge of this flat area. I will have to say that I handled walking around these drop offs better than Marc did. I figured I'd be much more skittish because I'm not a huge fan of heights.
Bryce was unlike anything I have seen before. And even though it is called Bryce Canyon, it isn't really a canyon at all. It is a grouping of natural amphitheaters - thank you Junior Ranger booklet.
A hoodoo is a pillar of rock that has been weathered in the middle and often looks like a mushroom on top.
Three hoodoos for three sisters.
She is perfecting the art of photo bombing.
We enjoyed (well Marc not so much) hiking down into the hoodoos. It was a "nice" stroll with cliffs on one side or the other. But then we had to hike back up. There were some tough spots, but these girls did great. We did stop a few times and catch our breath and it was a bonus if we found a shady spot to sit.
We headed back to where we parked the RV to shuttle into the park. We grabbed some lunch then wandered this cute little area of town. It was set up like an old western town.
Someone enjoyed walking around the gift shop.
And someone else got in trouble with the law. Figures it would be this one. :)
A little more gift shop fun.
We then drove that evening to our campsite outside of Zion National Park. We came in by the east entrance, which is not the path most taken. The site was nice as well as a little store, but we were in the middle of nowhere. No cell signal or anything. We couldn't get the RV to level that night after a dozen attempts on two different sites, so we weren't able to extend the slideouts on the RV. At least we were still able to hook up to electricity. The girls enjoyed sitting outside until the bugs joined them. We had spaghetti, salad, and fruit for dinner and it was my favorite meal of the trip. It probably had something to do with the amazing salad we ordered at the store across the street.
We ended the evening with playing some cards before calling it a night.
Once the girls were settled in bed Marc and I began the process of figuring out how to get into the park since we found out we were too large to fit into a lane in the mile long tunnel we had to traverse. Plus there is no driving in the park in the summer months so we had to get there early enough to be able to get a parking spot for our large vehicle. Details coming on the next post.




























No comments:
Post a Comment