Friday, December 31, 2010

Things I learned (or re-learned) in 2010 - by Marc

1. My wife is so smart. (among other things, she knew that mele kalikimaka was Hawaiian, and that Hawaiian really is a language)
2. My wife is way underpaid. When I go back to work on Mondays, sometimes it feels like vacation. She doesn't get those.
3. Sometimes little girls just need to be held.
4. Even if our family had 4 vomiters in 5 days, we are still blessed to be so healthy. Hearing about the Greggs vomit battles (from a distance) over the past month has made me think that we didn't have it so bad.
5.The corn farmers who lobbied for ethanol in our gas are in cohoots with the weedwacker people. Little 2-cycle weedwacker engines don't run well with 10% ethanol in the gas and everything gets all clogged up. So this year I bought a new weedwacker. I'm not buying a new one next year. I'll go to Mexico to buy real gas instead.
6. Sometimes the best friends are those who you continually run into at Moe's and Chick-Fil-A.
7. Even babies can projectile little peas out of their mouths.
8. I visited Disney World for the first time. It won't be my last.
9. Toddlers and carpet do not go well together. No carpet in next house.
10. Ethics in the workplace are everything.
11. Self-imposed dissertation deadlines are way overrated.
12. Fried chicken really is the best breakfast.
13. We are blessed to have three healthy, most-of-the-time happy little girls.
14. My problems are so small, and my God is so big.
15. Camping in the backyard tent with Kayla and Macy is much more fun when it's not freezing outside (and when the WiFi signal is nice and strong).
16. Over the past 5 1/2 years, I've watched Kayla grow from a wee baby to a kindergartner that can read her own books now. The development of her little brain is amazing. Not bad for evolving from pond scum (joke).
17. I survived all of 2010 without an iPhone, iPad, iPod, or iAnything.
18. My 3-yr-old thinks that I'm a skunk because I have a streak of white (not gray) hair.
19. I need to learn how to use my camera better.
20. Having 11 kids in a wedding (on a bridge) makes for a fun weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment