What a difference our experience was today! It is a small practice where the dentist does everything. He came out to the waiting room and talked to her and asked her questions. Kayla was shy, but that's nothing unusual. She did start to panic when she saw that she had to lay down on the chair, but they had a Dora movie already waiting for her. The TV's here are personal ones hanging straight down from the ceiling rather than a couple of shared ones between chairs. She did cry the entire time he was cleaning, flossing, examining, and doing the fluoride treatment, but she kept her mouth open and did everything Dr. Miles asked her to do. He was very kind and spoke to her and to me (unlike the other place where I was the only one they talked to). He was very understanding of her crying and kept explaining that this was a normal reaction to unfamiliar situations, but the fact that she kept her mouth open was great. He then took me on a tour of the practice and explained what services they offered. I was so proud of Kayla and when I told her it was okay she cried, she said "but I obeyed and opened my mouth." She went on to explain that she was crying because she thought it was going to hurt, but that it didn't hurt. Before we were leaving Dr. Miles was asking about Macy (who miraculously stayed quiet in her stroller the ENTIRE time) and he asked if he could just take a peek and make sure her gums and teeth were okay since we were already there. So we go back and Macy lays back in his lap, watches the movie and lets him look, clean, floss, and count her teeth! Not one peep or squirm out of her. And that was all done at no charge! So if anyone needs a pediatric dentist recommendation I will gladly pass along their information. Now I just have to convince myself I'm not a bad mom for letting Kayla go through that first experience 6 months ago...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

What a great experience! I want his name and number, please.
ReplyDeleteLaynie
Hey! The 1st dentist was bad NOT you! How were you to know? It was their first time. I didn't know what to think when I first took Cameron and they took him back by himself. I was so nervous about not being back there to "supervise" that I could barely stand it! I'm glad she did so good! I'm not looking forward to taking Anna and Landon soon. YIKES!
ReplyDeleteGlad it was a better experience! Who was Dentist #1? Was it another pediatric dentist or Dr. Davis? LOL. (Aren't ya'll at Dr Davis still?) He's been cleaning my teeth since I was 5! LOL. Would definitely like the name of your new guy, since I think we'll need someone familiar with working with little ones. Go Kayla and Macy!
ReplyDeleteI want the name!!! I am on the hunt...I need to get Ruby in there...she is almost 5!!!! omg.
ReplyDelete