Saturday, January 18, 2014

The Things I Love About Running

Last September I got a crazy idea that I wanted to run a 5K. I was not a runner and never had been a runner. When I mentioned this to Marc I'm sure his jaw dropped. But he quickly signed on to the plan too and training started. We did the C25K program. That first run was awful.  I'd run 1/10th of a mile and be worn out. I could hop on my bike and ride 8 miles, but I couldn't run 1/10th of a mile. But we pushed through and ran 3 days a week for 3 months. I didn't skip a run. Ever. Early in December we participated in the Reindeer Run here in Canton. While I can't say I ran every bit of it (there were some killer hills) I can say I did it. And I can also say I have no desire to run another one. ha!

Since then I have still be running 3 times a week, but right now I am doing mostly intervals with some 2 mile runs thrown in here and there. I've heard people talk about how much they love to run and how they love this thing called a runners high that has alluded me all these months. While I can't say I love running there are a few things I do love about it that make me continue. 

1. I love counting down the last 60 seconds when I know I am almost done. 
2. I love the feeling of showering and knowing I'm done with that for the day. 
3. I love knowing that since I ran today I don't have to do it tomorrow.
4. I love knowing that I ran a 5K and I have no desire to do that again.


No comments:

Post a Comment